A 6-month-old cub in Florida, searching with its mother and sibling for easy food in unsecured garbage containers, had the misfortune to get its head stuck inside a plastic jar.  The jar prevented the cub from eating or drinking, and almost resulted in the cub’s death.  Fortunately, as this article from Tampa action news relates, Florida Wildlife officers, aided by compassionate local residents, were able to capture the cub and free it from a very bad situation.  There is a photo of “Jar Head,” as they called the cub, wearing the jar and then running away, free at last. 

Situations like this can occur if we are not careful about trash disposal.  Bear-proof garbage containers are essential in bear active areas, and should be used by everyone , always.